Mobile Shower Unit Project for Boyle Street Community Services
Pleasant Homes is really grateful to have been given the opportunity to support this amazing project for people experiencing homelessness in the City of Edmonton. Sadly, up to 600 people sleep outside on any given night in Edmonton (source: City of Edmonton).
The Legacy Plus Club spearheaded the project and we were inspired to get involved as a sponsor, a member of the club and as a fundraiser.
“This was merely a community venture and filled a need we are passionate about. It’s the start of home ownership. It’s a chain of events that allows people to have dignity, enabling them to go to work with dignity, to afford a permanent home.” – Simon Boersma, Pleasant Homes.
We were able to unveil the mobile showers on October 29, 2020. They will be situated at the Edmonton Convention Centre through the winter months and then moved through the city as needed.
“Access to basic hygiene services is a basic human right, unfortunately individuals experiencing homelessness and poverty do not have regular access to those services, which can lead to negative self-esteem and a loss of self-dignity.
Hygiene services for Boyle Street’s clients are not only important to physical health, but also to mental and emotional well-being. The full-scale shower facilities in the Mobile Shower Unit will provide hygiene services to clients who are located across the city, including hard to reach areas such as the river valley, the west end, or far south. In essence, individuals will be able to access a shower when they need it, where they need it.
A massive thank you to our sponsors, Service Master Restore of Edmonton, Pleasant Homes Ltd., Intellimedia, JLS Decals & Signs, Legacy Plus Club, and the various other private donors who made our Mobile Shower Unit possible.” – Boyle Street Community Services
Want to get involved?
- The Legacy Plus Club – follow them on Facebook or on their website
- We are still in need of towels, feel free to donate at our office and we’ll be happy to get them to Boyle Street Community Services
- Direct contribution to Boyle Street Community Services – Get Involved
- For more information on resources and supports available throughout the city, call 211
- Morinville News – Pleasant Homes part of a trailer shower project to aid homeless
- CTV – Mobile shower unveiled for Edmontonians in need
- Global TV – Boyle Street offers mobile shower facilities to those living rough in Edmonton
- LTD Radio Interview with Legacy Plus – on Soundcloud